Wednesday, June 23, 2010

I'm Learning ...

that in order to learn to blog, you need to read blogs. Lots of them. And you can't decide whether someone's blog is a good fit for you unless you stick with them for a while.

Well, I've been reading blogs for the past couple years. I do keep a family blog where I track a lot of the fun, not so fun, exciting, and not so exciting things that happen from day to day here in the Paine house, but this is different. Most people aren't going to be too interested in seeing 25 "Earl Shots" of my sweet William unless they seriously have nothing else to do with their time. So writing this blog is a somewhat of a challenge for me.

I'm trying to find my voice.

Right now I have a list of a zillion different things I want to blog about yet I wonder what others will find interesting (and not.) As I was thinking this morning about my hair dilemma (see next post) I immediately wanted to blog about it but then stopped myself and asked, "Does anybody really care that you've just moved to an entirely different state and don't have a hairdresser?"

I'm not sure. But I'm gonna blog about it anyway. Because after reading through a bunch of my favorite blogs this morning, I realized that not every post is going to be enlightening or profound, they aren't all exciting or keep-me-on-the-edge-of-my-seat reading. Some are just ramblings about the everyday "stuff" that runs through our heads (and hearts) that we just have to get out. Isn't that what a blog is all about?

As for whether this blog will be a good fit for you, I don't know. I hope you'll stick around long enough to find out. I'll be honest -- there are plenty of blogs that I only visit occasionally, mostly because I clicked through on a link from another blog. There are others that I feel are part of my daily bread. Right now, it's all new. It's going to take a bit before I get into a good rhythm (did I spell that right?) and figure out what I want to write and share about. I just hope you'll come along for the ride.

So -- wanna hear about my hairdresser woes? Read on!

No comments:

Post a Comment