Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A Little About Me ...

It's always hard to start a new blog -- you wonder how much information people really want to know about you. Do they want to know details right from the get-go or would they prefer to get to know you gradually as time goes on?

Am I right to think probably a little bit of both? I hope so!

Because with that in mind, I thought I'd just share a little bit about what my life has been like the past several months and hopefully you'll have a good idea where I'm going with this blog as a result. Fair enough?

My husband was informed last year on our anniversay (we were in Gettysburg celebrating) that his company was closing down their operations in New York. Everyone with the exception of a few people who would be offered the chance to relocate to their Massachusetts campus and continue on with their research and development projects would be laid off.

This was not the way we anticipated celebrating our many years together -- wondering what the future had in store ... whether he would be unemployed at the end of the year ... if we'd have to sell our house ... need I go on? Needless to say it wasn't the happiest day!

However, as fate would have it my husband was one of the lucky few who was offered a transfer. We ultimately decided to accept the offer even though it would mean leaving behind our family, friends, and a house we loved. We decided to look at this whole situation as a wonderful opportunity -- the "Great Adventure" as we dubbed it -- to get outside our comfort zone, to explore New England, build a new house, and make some changes in our lives that we never seemed to have time for.

So now, eleven months later, here I am. We decided to buy a townhouse in a small town near my husband's work campus so we would be free to come and go as we pleased without the worry of house and yard upkeep. We have a list of places we are excited about visiting both here in Massachusetts and throughout New England. We have decided that we need to implement some lifestyle changes to take off the excess pounds we've accumulated over the years and to become a bit more fit and a whole lot healthier. We are eagerly awaiting visits from our wonderful friends and family ...

Moving meant I had to quit my job and I'm taking a breather for a bit as I try to figure out what line of work I'd like to go into. Right about the time this whole job change began for my husband, I'd also made some job changes due to some unexpected health issues and hadn't really "found my calling". So now seems to be a good chance to re-evaluate things and decide if I need to get some training in a different field or explore new options. I'm so happy right now that to tell you the truth, I'd love nothing more than to keep things just the way they are!

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to pursuing some things I haven't really had time for in recent years -- getting into some craft projects, some geeky stuff (learning Photoshop and playing with my camera), decorating my new house, and learning to cook in a whole new way (first -- for TWO people and second -- healthy!)

I'm looking forward to sharing about it all as this blog takes shape. I know it's going to be fun and I'm really looking forward to making some new friends along the way. I hope you're one of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment