Friday, July 9, 2010

Chicken Escarole Soup

This week I decided to try a recipe from the Cooking Light - Fresh Foods Fast Cookbook and we loved it! I have to admit, however, that I didn't follow the recipe exactly -- I added a few ingredients to bulk it up enough to make it what I figured my husband would consider "meal-worthy." So this is my version and I can promise you it will be a regular on our menu!

Chicken Escarole Soup

1 can (28 oz.) coarsely ground chopped Tomatoes (no or low sodium if possible)
1 can (15 oz.) diced Tomatoes (no or low sodium if possible)
1 32 oz. container Chicken Stock (I use Pacific organic, low sodium, range free broth)
2 - 3 stalks Celery, chopped
1 medium Onion, chopped
1 small Zucchini, diced
2 - 3 cooked split boneless Chicken breasts, chopped
1 can Cannellini beans, thoroughly rinsed and drained
Coarsely ground Black Pepper
1/2 tsp (or to taste) dried Basil
2 - 3 teaspoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 large bunch Escarole, rinsed and coarsely chopped
Parmesan cheese, grated (optional)

Combine in large saucepan (or soup pot) the tomatoes and broth. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Add celery, onion, and zucchini and reduce heat to medium. Simmer for about 5 minutes or until veggies start to soften. Add chicken, beans, basil, pepper, escarole and oil and simmer another 5 minutes. Serve with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese if desired.

Note:  Easy to make this vegetarian -- simply use Vegetable Broth instead of the Chicken Broth and omit the chicken! I'm sure it would taste just as good!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Barbie! Here to answer your question about sending cards.

    When I make cards that have as much dimension as those flowers, I usually give them with a gift and have that be attached to the package without an envelope.

    I usually make cards that can be mailed, with much less dimension, but these 3D cards are super fun every once in a while.

    Excited that you are starting to make cards! You'll love t.

    ReplyDelete