Tuesday, July 6, 2010

I'm Learning To Knit (Or At Least Giving It a Valiant Try!)

One craft that I've always wanted to learn is knitting. When I was a teenager, my mother took up crocheting (I believe as a way to help keep her hands busy as she tried to quit smoking and so she would not take up eating instead) and she taught me. I loved it and spent many long drives up to our weekend cottage in Canada crocheting afghans, slippers, hats, and scarfs.

I still like to crochet but I find that the majority of the patterns I'm drawn to these days are for knitting. Since I would rather do just about anything than clean the house have a little time on my hands these days I decided maybe I could try to teach myself the basics.

I bought a pattern book and watched some youtube videos (especially good are the ones by Judy Graham aka Hollywood Knitter to the Stars) to help get started. I have to admit, I started and then unraveled about the first 5 attempts. But finally, I managed to make this dishcloth.


It's not without mistakes ... in fact, looking at this picture they're pretty obvious! But it's a start and a not-too-bad first attempt.

I bought some yarn to try another pattern in the book and plan to get started on that in the next day or so. I am also already attempting to do a little designing of my own -- I'd like to make a hand muffler for my mom (who's hands are always cold and every time I see her she has them wrapped up in the bottom of her shirt!) I couldn't find an easy-peasy pattern for beginners so I'm going to see what I can come up with on my own.

So that's what I've been up to in the craft department ... just what I need, another hobby! But with trying to lose a few pounds, I like the idea of keeping my hands busy when the TV's on. Like mother, like daughter :)

No comments:

Post a Comment